CARCOAR Carcoar is the third oldest settlement on the western side of the Blue Mountains in New South Wales. It was established at a convenient crossing point on the Belubula River near the Coombing Park property of Thomas Icely, who took up some of the first grants of land in the area. It was gazetted as a village in 1839. Its court house, hospital and churches served a large area of the state.Two schools educated local children - a public school and a convent of the Sisters of Mercy. It was also the base for a Police District that was kept busy monitoring law and order, especially during the bushranging era. A police magistrate was appointed in 1840. During the gold rush era many Chinese miners passed through the village to and from goldfields of N.S.W.